Saturday, September 13, 2008

long day at the track

Mr. looser of the NY Post has nuthin on me.....

So I am at the Shores fastest Strecth, Beautiful Monmouth Park on Friday and I am perusing the entries for the first race.......low and behold there is a horse called JAYleen .....this being Sept 12th I had just come from a memorial Mass for my brother JAY , so this horse caught my eye......18-1....worth $2 ...........so I put in my exotics and toss 2 across on the longshot , grab an icey cold 16oz bottle of delicious Coors Lite ( TAP on the NYSE) . and walk outside to get some air......10 minutes to post , 22-1 on Jayleen .......I walk to the finish line to see the horsies come through the tunnel and enter the main ring.......the first 4 go past without incident , but heres come #5 Jayleen , there is a commotion, he does a double spin-o-rama directly in front of me.........he stops fussing , looks right at me , and does a full-on horsie snort....I smile back at him , peek up at the board 27-1.........I head upstairs to watch the race from the balcony at the finish line...and start contemplating a few more sheckles on old Jayleen after our close encounter of the Equine kind.....so I visit the machine and toss an addittional $20.00 scross the board.....32-1 and rising....if it ever comes in we are eating and drinking like Kings this day.........I walk to the finish line and stand outside by the wheelchair section ( Hope no Mad Canucks start tossing beer on me ) ......the horsies are going in the gate at the head of the backstretch......35-1 final odds....

And they're off..........it's a tight pack down the backstretch , lots of jockeying for position but nothing unusual......they start to thin around the far turn, Jayleen in 4th but hanging near the lead, there is some more jockeying as the clear the turn and now I am on the rail and closing furiously, one of the big favorites has fallen off the pace, it's a two Horse race....and Jayleen is one of them , S/b a Nice Payday for yours truly...they hit the wire and I've got 2nd place , 1/2 length off the winner, as the two horses that were tied for third cross the line, one of them goes down like he was shot.....crumbling on top of the Jock ( Eddie Castro) sickening........right in front of my eyes.......horrifying.....the crowds gasps.....the horsie springs up after a moment , THANK GOD , and gallops in the opposite direction.....the Jock is motionless , looks like he is dead.....the ambulance is out , the stretcher comes out........this puts a damper on my excitement , but i have place and show money , times 11 , coming my way....that will buy plenty of beer .............then the three words that can bring a grown man to tears.

"HOLD ALL TICKETS "

We have an inquiry.........WHAT ?? WHAT ??? ......well maybe it has nothin to do with good ol 5 horse.....maybe it has to do with the two horses that tied for third and crashed.........yeah, that makes sense........quick look at the Tote board.......the 5 is flashing.......you son of a .........

The three of four minutes that the stewards reviewed the infraction felt like an hour, of course my luck , I am standing next toa crusty ol Man who continues to bellow " Take him Down....Take Him Down".....miserable creep wants my 35-1 shot to forfeit 2nd place because he did not bet on him......he wants his chalk horse to get 2nd se he can retrieve $2.10 from the window........."TAKE HIM DOWN".......obviously I need to walk away before i expedite this old bastardo's departure from said earth.

" ladies and Gentelemn tha #5 Horse, JAYleen, has been disqualified "

At that point I should have taken every nickle on me and placed it ever so carefully into the recycling bin and walked home in the rain......it was a sign of things to come .


Not Too worry though.....I am going back today to make more donations and cheer on the GREAT Big Brown..........see you in the paddock.

No comments: