Tuesday, June 06, 2017

The lesson today is how to die

I shudder to think what is being talked about today, if anything; in the classrooms around the world about the anniversary of the D-Day invasion.....how is it being spun ? I had one of the greatest days of my life in June of 1988 on the French Riviera.....I was asked (ordered) to take part in ceremony commemorating the Normandy invasion.....I was 23.....I wanted to be out of my dress uniform and back in the Bars of St Tropez as fast as possible....but our Weapons Officer.( LCDR Noble) ordered us to stick around for the reception.... I'm glad he did......we met with 14 or 15 surviving members of the French Resistance......the emotion and gratitude that these men showed while retelling their own stories about seeing the allied forces on THAT morning was overwhelming.....these guys shook our hands and gripped our arms and meant it......they could not describe the elation of seeing 200,000 men coming ashore to liberate their Country and destroy the Nazis.....I only hope THAT story is still being told around the world.....the one about teenagers of the allied forces giving their lives to free others.

2 comments:

alvarez said...

I visited Normandy in 2014;

I urge everyone to go and see it - just incredible.

alvarez said...

yikes...I just read over the weekend the US Navy commissioned a new ship...named after gabby giffords...the end is near...where do I get my white flag?

I wonder if the sailors carry guns...does it have sailors?

pea-shooters???

rubber bands and paper clips?