Monday, January 29, 2007

barbaro

I do not expect anyone to understand why this matters so much to me, but it does. It was with a painfully heavy heart that I learned that the beautiful champion that was Barbaro was euthanized earlier this morning. That Horse showed more life in the final strecth of the KY Derby than some people do in a lifetime……and despite all of his surgeries over the past 8 months, he was still fighting. He never gave up, his owners did out of compassion.
Maybe I am drawing comparisons to my own life, maybe I saw something in this horse that struck a nerve, maybe I foresaw what was to come when he went down at the Preakness. Barbaro was hurt approx the same time my mom started showing signs of her illness, they battled together, they had ups and downs , side by side, and now Babaro is gone. My Mother was a horseplayer, she frequented the track her whole life, from Belmont to Monmouth. she thrived on Derby Day and proudly wore her Bonnets and dressed to the 9's....even for a back yard Party. I hope she lives to see the derby this year, but if she does not , she may very well have seen the last great Champion of our lifetime........I know I will never become this attached to a horse again.
Don't take my word for it, log on to U Penn website and read some of the hundreds of thousands emails that people sent to the Horse.
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/news/Barbaro.htm

2 comments:

tomcat said...

not that anyone out there reads this blog, but for the record, my mother did live to see Derby in 2007, she lost her battle with brain cancer three weeks after barbaro on 2/21/. there is a parelell out there somewhere i'm sure.

tomcat said...

as i perused past musings I discovered an error.....although quite apparent if you do the math, in the original update comment I should have stated that my Mom did NOT live to see derby day 2007 , at least not from earth....