Wednesday, April 25, 2007

40 songs that changed the world

Rolling Stone recently listed the 40 songs that changed the world......of course it was hogwash....i could write all day about songs that were omitted ( fixin to die rag, and Ohio come to mind) , but i would rather focus on one song, and how that song changed my life. I can vividly remember sitting on the park benches on the Hockey court at Shore Road and 79th street.....it was a beautiful spring day, us rugrats were out in droves down at the park....no beer yet, but soon, probably circa 75.......there was a radio playin on the next bench....dooom da dooomp.....it started...."Sugar Magnolia , Blossoms Blloming" ...."Heads all empty and I don't care" .....my GOD what was this sound.....I was 10 years old, and now I was HOOKED......I moved closer to the radio, listened intently, and the very next day walked to the "hole in the Wall" record store on 86th street to pick up American Beauty.....my LIFE began that Day....it was the single most defining moment of my childhood, it would drastically change my future, that day outlined and shaped the rest of my life. 32 years later the hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I hear that Song.....for the rest of my life, the Grateful Dead would serve as my soundtrack.....to High School, St Franks', the Navy, Wall Street, Marriage, Little Silver, the WTC and beyond....I took the DEAD with me, and they took me along for the ride. If you get it, then you got it....if not , it must seem strange. The people I met along the way influenced me, and I am sure I influenced a slew myself. They turned me on to Kerouac and I did my best to spread the word. In the Heyday the phrase "we are everywhere" said it all....because we WERE..........I am not surprised we were omitted from the Rolling Stone Poll, but fret not.....cause once and a while you can get shone the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.....

Sometimes when the cuckoo's crying
When the moon is halfway down
Sometimes when the night is dying
I take me out and I wander round
I wander round..........^$&*^(*&^()*&)

No comments: