Thursday, March 10, 2011

quick hits

"I think I know what my father meant when he sang about the lost highway" Hank Jr.

well i am in the midst of reading ON THE ROAD and it's difficult because i am also on a self imposed NoBooze Zone because of recent health scares.( I am trying to wait until i get an all clear from my Heart Doctor before Imbibing....we shall see) but every time I read this book I unearth more evidence of how deeply influenced I was by this book....mostly subconscious at the time of my youth , although now quite transparent.....KEROUAC as relevant in 2010 as he was in 1947.....I think I was born 30 years too late.

as i awoke this morning to a torrential downpour I immediately conjured up images and flashbacks to one of the greatest Dead Shows I was lucky enough to attend ( Or at least greatest openers)......My and Chris Cogs , Sept 91 or 92....the newly renovated MSG with a New and improved sound system....it had been raining in NYC for 48 hours, it was a Thursday Night opener of a 4 night gig.....we drank the good old Bottles of BUD in a makeshift cooler on the veranda of MSG and smoked some funky cigarettes , all as the worlds bankers and powerbrokers shuttled in and out of Penn Station.....inside the arena was filling up.....we had seats but never bothered to find them, instead we grabbed acouple of tall boys and took a spot along the rail behind the yellow section, 7th ave end, with a dead on view of the DEAD.....they opened with a cover of the Beatles "RAIN"......."when the Rain comes, you go and hide your head, you might as well be DEAD" and the building almost crumble into itself.......they took that straight into Shakedown Street and I honestly thought I was in Heaven....Jerry had the knack of knowing the internal temperature of the deadheads, and this night was no night for a long slow journey to get there.....they hit us right between the eyes to open and 20,000 people were never soooo happy....rest of the show was good i am sure, but that opener stays with me forever.

So they are lining up to attack Peter King for having the audacity to explore Radical Islam in America and its' ties to terrorism.......I heard some 30 year old schmuk newscaster sarcastically compare it to Mccarthyism.....as if thats a bad thing.....Communism and the infiltration of our govt by communists was very real at the time, but the liberal media and school teachers over the years have used the most extreme examples of Joe Mccarthy's investigations to MOCK and Belittle the whole process......if the IRA started targeting Americans overseas and killing them, you are DAM Right I should be profiled and Questioned....it's called Police Work...


Boy Old England must feel awfully silly now........they pardoned the Lockerbie bomber on humanitarian purposes because he was about to die......18 months ago.....but it soon became clear that they really caved to threats of a potential loss of Oil if they did not grant the pardon.....that request came from Col Khadaffy.....lay down with the dog, you get up with fleas Mr Brown.

lastly....a shocking story in the Post yesterday.....it seems a dispute between neighbors lead to one of them building a fence between the two properties and ultimately resulted in the shooting death of one of the two.......can you imagine that ? ?

sadly the man that was killed had lost his son in the World Trade Center which certainly may have influenced his unfriendly demeanor.......yep less than 3,000 were killed that day.....but those impacted forever is a list we will never be able to tally.

that's a lot for a Thursday morning.......MEGA millions pot is increasing....buy some tickets.

No comments: