Tuesday, September 01, 2020

summer has come and passed

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends ( Billie Joe Armstrong)


summer flew by in the wink of a 30 pack.....seems like just 5 months ago i was drinking beer on the train without too much of a care in the world, and looking back on my days of working remote and quaratini's at home, i am hard pressed to recall a day that i did NOT Imbibe......but there were some close calls.


One random tuesday i last until 4:45 P.M. without so much as a drop.......it was a brutally hot  afternoon but i was safe in the frozen confines of my AC.....and suddenly the power went out.......I sprang into action......i had 3 bags of ice in the Meat freezer and so i began emptying the beer friedge and packed two full coolers of beer.......and then iced them both down.....preparing for a long hot night.......the power came back at 5:30......and so we sat in the yard and put a big dent in that cooler of beer....not wanting my $1.99 ice to die in vain.

Another day early into exile.....a raw late March / early April cold rainy day.....working away and listening to the stereo......a Shillelagh Law song came on.....singing about whiskey......and i standing with a bar behind me housing a multitude of Jamesons bottles....had to jump right in.


there was the day i lasted well past lunch and suddenly news broke that the Great Charlie Daniels had passed away.....well his CD's were now stacked by the stereo and by the end of the first song I was "sittin on a barstool, acting like a darn fool".....that was a long night.


And just the other day i again managed to get through 11:30 lunch without so much as a drop of booze.....and i was reviewing an account for work on my computer and the clients last name was SELTZER.....no joke......within seconds i had a pint glass of ice and was pouring a White Klaw...


one of these days I will actually abstain from drinking for 24 hours......but not today....all this reminiscing has made me thirsty....


2 comments:

alvarez said...

They talk about my drinking

They never mention my thirst

WC

alvarez said...

I also think roadhouse blues by the doors is a great song