Thursday, April 21, 2022

Good & Bad

 I define these terms

Quite clear, no doubt, somehow (Dylan)


I remember a forgotten time on the friendly streets of Bayridge Brooklyn.....a mere youth of 16(maybe 15 or 17 not sure) , strapped for cash and looking to double the little funds that i had........I withdrew precious sheckles from the Bayridge Savings bank and walked a brisk pace to 69th street and 4th avenue and the storefront next to Lobianco's Jeweler....for although i hated the Miami Dolphins, I knew they would absolutely crush their instate rivals in the silly creamsicle jerseys on MNF.......I walked through the smokefilled card game upfront, past the stogie smoking horse players  and proceeded to the back room where i placed my bet on the Fish and laid a few points on the road , put my little pink slip from the bookie in my wallet and proceeded to Teddy No Kegs deli on 73rd and 3rd.......i held back a $10 spot....chippped in for some weed with the usual suspects and bought a six pack of Knickerbocker Natural.......it being a Monday afternoon we didn't pack coolers....we had a nice arrangement with Teddy.....we would pay for a six....but leave the beers in the deli fridge and retrieve them one by one for the remainder of the afternoon.......Teddy was busy and didn't keep track, so that usually meant 8 or 9 beers for the price of six......and when it was time to smoke we would go into the schoolyard and stand behind the garbage dumpster next to the hockey court......simpler times.............i remember later that evening in the Liev with my former head linesmen Chaz, drinking $3 pitchers of beer; and i watched as Tampa Bay soundly defeated Miami....thus bringing the hammer down on the rest of my social schedule for the foreseeable future............but hey, it was still a pretty good Monday for a high school lad in the 80's..........today as we wake up both Gambling and Marijuana are Legal in the Garden State...and although that is convenient.....i can't help but think that some of the electricity that surrounded both activities is lost forever on the youth of today....i wouldn't change my time on this planet for any other era...


Ah, but I was so much older then

I’m younger than that now

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait until everyone loses all their money on weed and gambling and then have to go on welfare!!!