Thursday, June 09, 2022

sittin in the corner of a crowded bar room

 People all around me and I still feel alone

Just when I know I'm gonna break down and cry
Someone played a tune that dried the tear from my eye ( Hughie Thommason)


either you get it or you don't......either those lyrics are etched in your forever memory and the music comes pouring over you or it doesn't...that familiar twang of Hughie Thommason lives in a happy part of my brain still.

The first track on the debut Album of the OUTLAWS back in 1975...."there goes another love song"....and it has been their concert opener since forever.......no sense having a dollar opener pool tonight at the Basie for it's a guaranteed lock that this is their opener ( Think Whiskey River & Willie Nelson).

sadly Hughie left us in 2005 , and tonight only Henry Paul and Monte Yoho remain from the original gang, but i have seen them 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years (20-25 times in my life....from the Convention Hall in Asbury in 1980 as a 15 yr old kid on a family vacation....to a bar in Jacksonville in 86 as a squid...we had a table next to the stage and hung out with their sound guy go before and after....only 200 people in the bar )  and the songs still resonate...the guitar work is still unmatched ....and the emotions are raw........this is a band i take very personally.....their unique sound never fails to stir deep, deep emotions for me........i could fill a novel with what exactly this music means to me, but somethings are better left inside.....just know that as i gulp my beer on the balcony of the Basie and they open with this song.....it too will dry the tear from my eye. and we will raise a glass for those that can't be there tonight........as a side note, 33 years ago today i walked off the base in Pensacola a free man.....my 4 years of Naval service completed; i was about to begin the rest of my life......and i will raise a glass of beer to myself tonight as well.

Lonesome and lonely and far from my home
Tryin' to get back to where I know I belong
Wishin' and a-hopin' I was already there
I just heard a voice it whispered in my ear, singin'
There goes another love song
Someone singin' about me again
There goes another love song
Now I need it more than a friend


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your service on this memorable day and ENJOY tonight!