Tuesday, June 09, 2015

the longest mile

shadows of a sailor forming,
winds both foul and fair all swarm.

June 10th 1985 i took that long walk off a short pier.
I left my home and my family...no more than a boy as Paul Simon would say.
I took that long walk from 554 76th street to 86th and 7th...the
United States Military recruitment center where i surrendered my freedom and my
life for the next 4 years. accompanied by Steve Mcevoy, Donn Hoffman and "Who Shot JR Ryan and the Rhine River".....as they drunkenly navigated 5th ave in the Monday morning dawn, i nervously strolled, secretly hoping for an earthquake or natural disaster that would delay my departure for the Great Lakes Bootcamp facility......as each street of my youth passed under my feet and immediately into a distant memory...my life was changing before my eyes....i had no idea what changes lay in store, but could sense they would be dramatic and swift , and i was right..........weddings, funerals, births , defections did rain from the skies onto bayridge in the 4 nomadic years i spent in the service of Uncle Sam....with each return trip i felt more detached and isolated on the gang plank of life.....sink or swim.....i dropped anchor for 10 years in Brooklyn upon my return to civilian life in 1989 , but it was never quite the same.....the buildings remained, but it was a like a bad movie sequel, they had B list actors playing the parts of your favorite characters......i will never forget that walk....and i am glad to say that even then on that very morning, 30 years ago tomorrow....I knew the Gravity of my actions.....i said goodbye to my pal Snoopy, and hello to the very special insanity that was the UNITED STATES NAVY !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for your service, Tom. :-)