Thursday, August 17, 2017

Stuck inside of mobile

With the Memphis blues again.....I know I have shared this story before...either on the blog or in the dogpark with my peeps....but during that dry dock period of 1989 I was splitting time between Pensacola, fl and Pascagoula, ms.....I used to take a greyhound bus on Fridays back to Mississippi.....that bus made a 2 hour stopover at 4:00 in Mobile, alabamy....being the thirsty young pup that I was and still am, I was always on the lookout for a friendly pub to slake my thirst.....none to be found in Mobile....as I went from bar to bar I was greeted by plaques and cardboard signs that stated "Private Club, Members only"......certainly that was a clever plot to keep the descendants of emperor spoonjiah out of da club.....Shirley once they saw I was a good ol boy they would waive the membership requirement, fling open the doors and welcome me in to have a frosty bud and play a few Allman bros and Skynyrd tunes on the jukebox......not to be......seems yankee dogs are on an even lower rung on the ladder than jimmies......after two consecutive Fridays of being turned away, I gave up....began bringing a six of pints and sitting in a local park during the stopover.....it may have saved my life....one Friday while drinking a beer under a shade tree , I picked up the local newspaper and was reading about the trial of a group of white men that HUNG a black man from an Oak Tree in a Park in downtown Mobile.......now in the late 80's they were trying people from the civil rights movement of the 60's....old cases reopened thanks to DNA and new evidence.....Shirley this was one of those cases.......wrong again.....the public hanging took place in 1987.........who knows.....if bubba and company let me in to one of their private clubs and I started storytelling in all my Brooklyn accented glory, I might have found myself next to reggie McKenzie on the next oak tree.........the deep, dark south.......more to come......next up....Biloxi and Gulfport.

No comments: