Friday, September 29, 2017

If dogs run free, then why not me

The best is always yet to come That’s what they explain to me Just do your thing, you’ll be king If dogs run free....(Dylan).........I was reading the NY Post in early August.... during the transit summer of hell it wasn't easy to get a paper on a daily basis..... some weeks the 7/11 would only have the papers once or twice because I was leaving so early ( usually the 5:03 train )....but on one particular day I was lucky enough to get a post and I think I was destined to read a story about the DEAD DOG BEACH in Puerto Rico.....it was a place that the local inhabitants ( I am reluctant to call these scumbags people) would abandon their dogs.... basically just leave them at the beach to fight for their lives and eventually die of starvation or dehydration....nice people, I hope anyone that Left a dog there is starving and dying right now in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria....but the article was about a NY woman by the name of Christina Beckles...she visited Puerto Rico.....was horrified by the beach, adopted a dog and started a rescue mission called the SATO project...over the next 10 years she rescued 1600 dogs.....at the time of the article she was mobilizing a rescue effort that would bring 200 dogs to the United States in hopes of finding them new forever homes.....a fraction of the number of homeless dogs roaming the beaches there, but a significant impact just the same.... some of the dogs were too old, too injured or too hardoned to rehabilitate, so they tried to get them medical attention or Foster Care in Puerto Rico......her mission was a success...... yesterday I thought about SATO and wondering how they were doing....I was crushed to learn that none of the homeless dogs on SATO beach survived the Hurricane, Every Last one of them killed or drowned in the storm, locals told rescuers that they heard the dogs howling and crying for help....one last insufferable indignity..... I cry for those dogs.....worse yet , when Christina returned to Puerto Rico this week she saw Puerto Ricans that survived the storm abandoning their dogs on the beach..... I will never give a nickel to human aid on that island , but I sure as hell am going to donate to help these helpless pooches....man's best friend....all they want to do is LOVE us....and some men continue to mistreat them.....if I ever win the lottery.... I won't spend lavishly or travel the world.... I will start a shelter for the dogs nobody wants, the sick , the lame, the old.... and I will afford them the chance to live out their days with dignity in a loving environment.................. If dogs run free, then what must be, Must be,..... and that is all....... True love can make a blade of grass, Stand up straight and tall........ In harmony with the cosmic sea, True love needs no company....... It can cure the soul, it can make it whole.............. If dogs run free

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You dog!