Thursday, March 03, 2022

well my shoes they come from singapore

 My flashlight’s from Taiwan

My tablecloth’s from Malaysia
My belt buckle’s from the Amazon
You know, this shirt I wear comes from the Philippines
And the car I drive is a Chevrolet
It was put together down in Argentina
By a guy makin’ thirty cents a day  (Dylan)


Mister Dylan was actually taking aim at the unions in this early 80's gem, but it could just as easily been a rant against the supply chain.....in any event his lament about imports has stood the test of time....once again Bob was right.

I was critical of the President for not banning Russian oil......but i should not have been...here's why.
First and foremost we should NOT be buying Russian oil.....but as a capitalist and someone who is most concerned with Government overreach...I should have instead made the case for the Private sector to do the right thing.....I have always complained about Big Govt sticking its' nose where it does not belong....from vaccine mandates to affirmative action...and so just because i like the outcome, i can't suddenly be okay with the Govt telling big Oil how they should do business. Even though the Central Govt does have the authority when it comes to National Defense, it is still better when private citizens arrive at the right decisions by themselves....it is counterproductive when a heavy hand of govt dictates to the people.

And this morning I am happy to say the private sector is "doing the right thing".... First it was British Petroleum and Shell and yesterday Exxon followed suit. (that is my biggest stock position in my IRA  and so i am glad i do not have to think about selling, i bought 1,000 shs at the onset of the pandemic between the price of $38 and $50....would hate to sell tday at $82) 

I also found an article on Bloomberg that said Banks are rethinking loans to Russian oil exploration....tanker shipping companies are refusing to ship Russian Oil, and finally American Oil companies are refusing to accept delivery. (Weds there was a tanker filled with Russian oil selling for $20 below the market rate of $106 a barrel, and there were no takers) I will even begrudgingly afford some credit to the "Cancel Culture" , as i think these big corporations have seen how individuals have been cancelled for their decisions of the past (right or wrong) and so they may be afraid that down the road they will face backlash for the economic decisions made today. (Being slow to join the boycott)

8 days in.....russia is digging their own grave with each passing day....last night a news anchor seemed shocked at a report that Gigi Ping Pong asked Putin to wait until after the Olympics before invading....thankfully there was no mention of Sweater Nite.

They used to grow food in Kansas
Now they want to grow it on the moon and eat it raw
I can see the day coming when even your home garden
Is gonna be against the law


No comments: