Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Shea Goodbye

Today is the final home opener at beloved Shea Stadium, beloved by the people for the memories it created, not because it was a modern architectural marvel, truth be told it's a bit of a dump......but it is where i attended my first major league baseball game....Mets-Astros April 1970....i remember coming in from the train station more than anything else, what an experience....I think the mets won 2-1...I also remember that my Dad took us to the game with Pfizer box seats behind the Mets dugout, he passed away 13 years ago today.....I was at the pay phone in the bally bunyon when I got the news...I was actually calling him to make sure he placed his bet on "Larry the Legend" the horse I had told him about earlier in the week....he had, it was his final bet and it won.

No comments: