Tuesday, June 13, 2023

There's a feeling i get

 When I look to the west

And my spirit is crying for leavingIn my thoughts I have seenRings of smoke through the treesAnd the voices of those who stand looking (Page/Plant)


years ago there was a bizarre movie with Jim Carey ( no JC, not Ace Ventura).....something about a spotless mind.....he breaks up with a girl and uses a new technology to go into his brain and erase all memories of her....frightening movie......but it feels like it may be playing out on the streets of manhattan.....everytime i turn around another institution has vanished.

I learnt yesterday that Diamond Jim Brady's on Maiden Lane did NOT survive the pandemic .....i passed by the bar back in 2021 and assumed they were opening later in the day, i did not realize at the time that sign on the door and the barroom inside was but a shrine to a forgotten time. I have talked about this watering hole several times over the years. It was not the bar i most frequented, but it had a knack for being there at special events. It's the characters that you remember , long after you've forgotten the story... I took the Series 7 Exam around the corner on William Street in the year of who knows when....There was a rule at the time that you had to take a 45 minutes break in the middle of the exam and physically leave the testing Center.  I was on a bit of roll and did not want to lose my Mojo, but rules are rules and so i left the building and started to stroll around downturn.....it was 10:45 on a Thursday.....i thought about a cup of coffee but decided no. I tried the door at Diamond Jims and sure it enough it was open....the Barman was wiping down the bar and restacking glasses.....he told me the kitchen would not be open till 11:30 and i told him i was just lookin for a quick pint or two........3 minutes later i was washing down a delicious pint of Guiness........13 minutes later i was on pint #2.....The Barman asked me what brought me into the Bar so early and i told him about my test.....he asked me if i passed and seemed amused when i told him that i had to go back to take the 2nd half......he told me to come back and let him know how i fared.....and about 2 hours later i was back in the fold enjoying another pint on the House and celebrating my new license. Jim Brady's was a solid, consistent Bar in the financial district...the owners and staff were good people....i hope they are well...the classic barrooms of NYC are an endangered species....it just feels to me like someone is taking an eraser to my life....so many of the haunts & Jaunts have gone away....were they ever here at all ?


asshat mayor adams is now promising free health care to illegal migrants......days after crying that the city is overwhelmed and can't afford any more , this clown is promising free health care to go along with your cell phone, 3 square meals and hotel room......NYC is using tax payer $$ to pay the Hilton-Financial Hotel on Washington Street 100K a week to house the law breakers from the south. The Barrel & Sauce restaurant across the street on Rector St has closed their doors for good and posted a letter to customers sighting the hotel as their downfall. Do we think the free health care plan will attract more or less migrants ?  yep, me too.

2+3=Beeer


Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greatness has been overtaken by less then mediocrity! 2+3=Beeer

alvarez said...

I think new yorkers will overlook this, after all, they voted for adams because he's tough on crime - how is that working out, by the way?

his very 1st day he sent a photo of a crime in process to the police...I knew that second it was over!

2 + 3 = Beeeer

alvarez

alvarez said...

anyone remember Lane's hot dogs on maiden lane and nassau st? best ever

2 + 3 = Beeeer

alvarez