Monday, June 09, 2008

Boot Camp

23 years ago this day , June 10th 1985 , I left the borough of Churches to see the world.

I remember leaving my house at 554 76th street that morning, my Mother and Father gave me a miraculous religious medal to keep me safe. Donny Hoff, Steve Mac and John Ryan were waiting on the steps of my house at 6:00 A.M. to walk me up to the recruiting station at 86th street…..I Boarded a Bus for the MEPS station on Fort Hamilton Army Base , was "sworn in" , pledged to defend the constitution against all enemies , both foreign and domestic , and then bussed out to Kennedy Airport…….caught a flight to Chicago that Night and boarded another Bus to the Great Lakes Naval Station …..did not get assigned a rack until 3:00 a.m. …..had a brutal hangover from my last night in the ridge, was grateful to finally get some shuteye……..not for long…….approx 5:30 A.M. they came in with garbage cans and baseball bats , creating quite the ruckus, shouting, cursing , swearing , welcome to the Navy son……..do you know what NAVY stands for ?

Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

And thus after getting my head shaved , my illustrious Naval career began.

Feels like two lifetimes ago.

No comments: