Sunday, June 08, 2008

I smell a rat

can't quite put me finger on it yet , but there is something amiss about the shocking outcome of the Belmont Stakes.......I won't draw conclusions just yet, but I will raise a few blips from the week that seem out of sorts.

First and foremeost , what is going on with Dutrow v Desromeaux ? one hour after the race, Rick Dutrow is barnside answering questions and he says " I haven't spoken to the jock yet ".........2 things wrong here....A) WHY NOT ? your the effen trainer of a triple crown horse, something went drastically wrong ....why didn't Dutrow make a Bee line to Desormaux to ask "What the Eff just happened? " B) on a smaller note , usually when a trainer and a jockey have success at any level , let alone the grandest stage of them all, you tend to expect them to form some kind of a bond.....does't the Jock have a name ?

Second quote from Dutrow that raised my eyebrows....I was a little drunk last night at 7:30 , but I swear Dutrow said you can't blame this horse, the horse did nothing wrong.......so whom is at fault? The Jock ? the trainer? The syndicate owners? Belmont Park itself? the heat? who should we blame? unfortunately Ricky did not elaborate , but my hunch is he has his mind set on blaming the jock without a name.

And what did the jock have to say ? Two quotes bothered me......A) "there was nothing wrong with the horse, but i pulled him up because the race was over"....really? probably right, but does not a champion of this caliber deserve the right to gallop out down the stretch , had we not seen explosions from this horse in the past, sine when is it the right thing to do to quit , unless the horse was hurt , why do you risk injury by asking the horse to stop running in the homestretch?
was Desormauex trying to make the story about HIM, and overshadow everything else....was Desormaux trying to win favor with PETA ? vying for the humanitarian of the year award......my feeling is unless thay are not telling us the truth and there was something wrong, then he should have went way ride and turned him loose one last time....we'll never know.

B) when asked a question about Big Browns' training the past two weeks, Desormaux snapped back " How should I know , ask Michelle, she's the only one who rides him"
what is that all about? sounds like sour grapes.....he was of course referring to the little irish Lass Michelle Nevin who is the exclusive exercise rider for Big Brown.....why is desormeaux throwing her under the bus? is he trying to question Dutrows practice routine?

I have not quite figured it out yet friends, but there is more to this story than meets the eye.....for all his faults, Dutrow showed a human side, when he said "whatever else happens , this horse is a great champion and he is going to live a nice life, even if he never races again" ....I think when you get past his bravado and cockiness, Dutrow loved this horse and I do not think he would risk Big Browns life for his own fame.....but I have been wrong before, and I have a redwood forest worth of loosing tickets to prove it.

No comments: