Tuesday, June 10, 2008

the plot thickens

This article ran in the NY Post this morning compliments of Anthony Affrunti , I knew Dutrow was not happy with Desormeaux ....read the quotes at the bottom......he should have let Miss nevin ride the Champ.

June 10, 2008 -- The mystery surrounding Big Brown's dismal performance in the Belmont Stakes remained unsolved yesterday.

Roy Williamson, the Head Starter for the New York Racing Association, has seen his share of distractions that a horse can face before or during a race. To him, no absolute cause could be found.

"I wish I could tell you that he was acting up in the gate, but that didn't happen," said Williamson. "I couldn't say that it was one definite thing, but there were a lot of equipment and people all over the track."

Williamson wouldn't rule out that the contingent of photographers along the inside rail and the 15-foot high camera tower that was located 30 yards from the gate could have spooked Big Brown.

"There were a lot of people moving around," he siad. "I was looking at pictures of the race on the Internet. I noticed Kent (Desormeaux) was pulling on the rein to straighten him out where the cameras were.

"I remember seeing a lot of cameras. You may never figure out what could have gotten to him."

Trainer Rick Dutrow, who vanned the colt to his Aqueduct barn yesterday morning, was not pleased with Kent Desormeaux's ride aboard the horse who was to be the next Triple Crown winner.

"Getting the horse from the gate to the first turn like that is not to play the game," said Dutrow.

"I'm sure he didn't have any idea what the hell was going on going into the first turn the way [Desormeaux] was switching him all over the damn track. I don't know what he was doing."

No comments: