Friday, January 21, 2011

snow begone

i woke up at 2:00 a.m. and saw it was snowing , went back to bed tired and grumpy and in a foul mood, but a funny thing happened on the way to the dawn....at precisely 345 my ipod alrm went off, and by 346 i was smiling...the beautiful sound of mr Garcia's guitar and the wistful lyrics or Robert Hunter warmed my soul....i was happy to be awake and thankful to be alive....suddenly the aches and pains of a miserable work week went away....no better way to start the day than the good ol Grateful Dead.....today we had a fast live version of Scarlett Begonias from circa 1977 with the young vibrant Miss Donna Jean Godchauxx accompanying Jerome Garcia on lyrics, it really brought a smile to my face and thus i am alive and kicking and ready to start the day.....full lyrics listed below, feel free to sing along or as they say in the navy, smoke em if ya got em......to paraphrase one line from Mister Hunter, so very true that you can indeed be shown the light....if you bother to look at it right

Scarlet Begonias

As I was walkin' 'round Grosvenor Square
Not a chill to the winter but a nip to the air,
From the other direction, she was calling my eye,
It could be an illusion, but I might as well try, might as well try.

She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes.
And I knew without askin' she was into the blues.
She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls,
I knew right away she was not like other girls, other girls.

In the thick of the evening when the dealing got rough,
She was too pat to open and too cool to bluff.
As I picked up my matches and was closing the door,
I had one of those flashes I'd been there before, been there before.

Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong.
Seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Well there ain't nothing wrong with the way she moves,
Scarlet begonias or a touch of the blues.
And there's nothing wrong with the look that's in her eyes,

Wind in the willow's playin' "Tea for Two";
The sky was yellow and the sun was blue,
Strangers stoppin' strangers just to shake their hand,
Everybody's playing in the heart of gold band, heart of gold band.

No comments: